Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Round of Applause for Fr. Amalanathan

Today's Eucharistic celebrations humbles me; I was made aware of my own short-comings. Even as I listened to Fr. Amalanathan reaching out to the congregation; even as I try to catch the message and feeling not too pleased about having to try so hard, even when I asked myself, Why is it not Fr. John? I was suddenly admonished for my selfishness-when a thought flooded my conscious. I was critical of a society which does not give healthy and capable retirees, or those aged 55 and above a chance for continued normal employment. Even if employment were given, there were so many retrictions -it has to be contract, lower pay etc... Society places a stigma on aging, without realising that one day, by the natural course of nature and creation, everyone- , irrespective of status, colour, religion and background- all, too, will grow old and walk along similar paths. The same goes for sickness, no one is immuned to the effects of aging nor could they completely prevent themselves falling ill.
..
The admonishing thought was: If I could not be generous and gracious to a brave person like Fr. Amalanathan, who had suffered a stroke and faced certain obvious limitations and despite that, resolved to serve God as best as he could, am I not like those I criticised? Maybe even worse!The "I" factor was so huge that I failed to see goodness and the needs of others around me. Fr. Amalanathan, bless his heart, needs the congregation to cheer him on, our support....
..
Like Fr. Amalanathan said, the hymn "I did not see" summed up the whole message of the Eucharistic celebration. I was so humbled. That God should sent His Son into our midst and die for us but we were so polluted that we could not see; and yet, He waited patiently until we come to our senses. Though we sin, He is still there for us. Contrite is the word. When the next hymn " Higher Hands" filled the church building, the emotions that erupted were from the heart. Really! Funny how images buried deep within the heart surfaces when we are connected with the Loving Father, the secrets that we whispers into his ears alone, the words that we could trust no one with.... There was this particular individual, who uses muscles and obstacles in every-way to drive in her hate message and it is only through God's grace that yours truly did not retaliate and got herself into any dispute. "Higher Hands" reminds me again and again, that I am not walking alone .....and the tears that swelled were not of grief or despair but gratitute and thanksgiving to the Lord God. Yes, People, 'Higher Hands" always get yours truly, all teary eyed and emotional each time, the lyrics hit the air.

No comments: